Monday, August 29, 2011

Irene says it's time to go.

First there was the major fire in the Dismal Swamps (we were smelling smoke all the way in Richmond), then mid-week there was a 5.8 earthquake in Virginia, and then Hurricane Irene!

So I know I really shouldn't make fun, because I'm sure some people suffered damages to their homes, etc. during the earthquake. HOWEVER.....this is so funny I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it!


Anyway, sometime during the week the news stations started ramping up their hurricane talk and I started wondering if we should be worried. By Thursday some coastal areas were being evacuated and we waited to hear news of what they would do about Topsail. When we woke up Friday morning, it was pretty grey and dreary. The tide was coming up much higher than normal and the waves were getting bigger. Even though Topsail was never in a mandatory evacuation, we needed to leave before the roads flooded. (North Topsail was mandatory.) We started packing up Friday after playing on the beach for a few minutes and were out before lunchtime.


Definitely a sign that it's time to leave:

It's just not the same to sit around the living room with the windows boarded up and toys packed away



We all left and were pleasantly surprised that the traffic wasn't too bad. We made it home in time to unpack, do a quick grocery trip, and prepare to weather the storm in Richmond!

No comments: