Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Weekend 2012

Welcome to the Rivah!
This was our first "summer weekend" at the river for the year and Fielder's first trip to the river ever!

Saturday morning, Rob and Claire headed to the river for some Daddy-daughter quality time.  I just wasn't quite ready for an overnight trip with Fielder so we waited until Sunday to come down.  From what I hear, Claire had a blast playing and riding on the boat, but the best part of all was sharing a bed with Daddy!  She was really excited about this and I heard that she kept asking Daddy to come to bed so he went to bed at 8 (and snuck out after she fell asleep.)

The next morning Fielder and I arrived to find everyone busy getting the house ready for the birthday/anniversary celebration. 
Claire helping Popa plant flowers
























Later in the afternoon we went for a little boat ride while Abu watched Fielder.  Rob decided to take a quick dip to cool off and Claire wanted to join him.  Not 2 minutes later she started crying about something "itching" - I thought she was being dramatic about her life jacket.  Then she started screaming and saying "get me out of here!"  We realized she had gotten stung by a nettle and we quickly pulled her back onto the boat.  We hadn't seen a single one and normally Memorial weekend is too early for them to be in the water.  I felt so terrible for her and I'm quite sure that will be the last swim in the river this summer (can't say that I blame her.)  We rode back with her soaking wet and crying on my lap - by the time we were back to the house she had welts all on the back of her leg.  She handled it all pretty well and enjoys telling her dramatic tale of her battle with the stinging nettle.  We've told her she is now officially a river rat.


No comments: