After our long MLK weekend, we had a surprise for Tuesday - another day off! I told Claire when she got up that school was closed for snow....even though it hadn't started snowing yet. We watched the news and she got even more excited when the words MAJOR SNOWSTORM scrolled across the screen. She ran to the window every 10 minutes waiting for the snow to start. Later in the morning, I decided we should go on a Target run before the "blizzard" hits so I hustled everyone out the door as quick as I could. We wandered around Target, killing some time, while checking every once in a while to see if the snow had started. I noticed the way Fielder was sitting and it cracked me up...just chillin in his shopping cart:
So then we get home....and still no snow. We waited ALL DAY with lots of complaining that Mommy had lied about the snow. We stayed entertained with art projects, cleaning, hide and seek, and of course some TV shows. Finally in the late afternoon, it started and she yelled "it's the MAJOR snowstorm!" We took Charlie for a short walk and the kids had fun trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. Fielder hated the wind - I couldn't really blame him. After kids were finally tucked in and I could relax on the couch, we got the email that schools would be closed Wednesday. All of a sudden it occurred to me that Rob was headed out of town for work and I wouldn't be able to take Claire sledding alone. So I went to Claire's closet/room and said "it's time to turn out the light - do you want to go to sleep now.......OR.......do you want to go sledding with me?!" Her little face lit up! She was SO excited. She got out of bed and we managed to find all her snow gear and headed outside. It was such a fun surprise to her and probably one of my favorite things I've ever done with her.
We walked all around the apartments and I pulled her in the sled. It was just beautiful out, and quiet and peaceful. We couldn't find any other kids around so we headed over to the middle school. There's a little trail through the woods to the school and we found a good sledding hill! She had a blast - she kept saying "this is the best night ever! It's a winter wonderland out here! I wish we could do this every night." It was so windy and freezing cold (plus getting late) so we headed home.
Snow angels, snowball fight, and of course she ate a little snow off my car before heading inside.
Snow Day #2. Well, the "major" snowstorm wasn't a total bust, but we only got maybe 1 inch or so. We had a lazy morning and then I decided it was worth a try going out for some sledding. I knew this was going to be tough getting everyone ready (moms of more than 2, I have no idea how you do it.) I got Claire and myself ready first and while I was sweating like crazy, I got Fielder dressed. He HATES wearing his heavy coat. And he HATES hats and gloves. So this obviously didn't go very well. I forced him into everything and carried a screaming child and sled down the 2 flights of stairs with Claire trailing behind.
Are we having fun yet?
Words don't even describe how annoyed/mad/frustrated I was when we got outside. Fielder was absolutely hysterical and Claire was bouncing around as excited as could be about sledding. There was no way I could give up and tell her we had to go inside. So I CARRIED Fielder while pulling Claire on the sled through the woods to the middle school. He was mostly mad about the gloves and hat so I finally caved and took them off which then of course he cried because he was cold. We get to the school, see some other kids, and Claire runs over. They immediately have to leave, but as they leave the Dad gave me a sympathetic look and said "that's how my kids were last year, but this year they both love it - it will get easier!" I thanked him for giving me hope :-)Long story short, finally another family showed up (right after I had told Claire she could take 1 more trip down the hill and then we were going to have to quit) - it was a family we've run into at so many places. Their kids are similar in age and Claire was THRILLED to have some friends to play with. Finally after many tantrums and many attempts with the gloves and hat, Fielder decided he wanted to have fun too. He even went down the hill with me a couple times. (I took a face plant to save him from going head first into the snow!) On the way home he loved being pulled in the sled so I took an extra lap or 2 around the building. When we got home and peeled off all the layers of clothing, the kids had fun jumping in the pile and wrestling each other. (We never did get dressed today!)
Hey Mom...Just wanted to tell you that you got your money's worth out of these snow pants! These were purchased sometime in the early 90s and Andy and I have both worn them for all these years!! They finally bit the dust today and ripped all the way. Whenever I buy shoes or clothes big so the kids "can wear them a couple years" - I know where I got that from!!
Well, after the debacle of playing outside, we came in, had lunch and thank goodness it was naptime. I needed a nap so bad!! But when Fielder woke up, I was completely out of ideas. I had literally hit my limit of being in this apartment and no idea what to do. So we decided to bake some muffins. (I know I'm losing it when I think that giving Fielder a bowl of flour to play with is a good idea.) This picture does not even do justice one bit for the mess that he made! But it was really fun and we have some yummy apple pumpkin muffins now!
Here's his reaction when I gave him the finished product:
Gosh he's cute! And it's a good thing too since he's such a terror. :-)
Ok, this post got waaaay too long. I just wanted to write everything down tonight - even though I was going totally nutzo-crazy with these kids (and oh did I mention school is closed again tomorrow) we still made lots of good memories and had some fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment