Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Topsail 2009

We were so lucky to go back to Topsail Beach again this summer with my family and we had a wonderful time! I had such great memories of last summer's vacation - playing on the beach, time with family, and Claire taking her first steps - so it was great to go back and make new memories. This year, I didn't know what it would be like to "vacation" with an almost-2 year old, but with so many people to help it was truly relaxing and so much fun to watch her play on the beach.

Here's a few of my favorite Claire memories from the week: (actually it's a pretty long list...this is mostly for my own memories' sake - feel free to skip ahead to the pictures and videos montage!)
  • Every night before bed she would tell us she loved the beach - "the beach is so fun, play in the dirt, swim in the water" We would also name everyone and say that we were all going to play again tomorrow! (Then she usually asked to go to bed because she would be SO tired!)
  • At dinner one night, Claire looked around the table and said "I love Papa. I love Mimi. And Aunt Tara. And Uncle Andy." When we kept prompting "who else?" she would keep looking around the table and would even look at me, but I never got a "I love mommy" - I'll keep waiting for it!!
  • Papa Jim likes to teach Claire all kinds of goofy things to say and one afternoon he called Claire a "slimy dog" - later in the day when Mimi was trying to get Claire to say she loves Mommy, Claire instead looked at me and said "Mommy is a slimy dog"
  • We saw lots of helicopters and airplanes during the week which Claire gets very excited about. She would say "that is awesome!" Now when I ask her about the beach, she tells me about the helicopters! (Awesome is a new favorite word - she also said "that's an awesome dog" one day on the beach...that's in the video below.)
  • "Wanna cover up!" "Wanna GO GO GO" "Wanna spin around" - these were some of Claire's favorite things to do on the beach! ("Cover up" meant she wanted to be buried in the sand!)
  • To get to the beach, we had a small path with tall sea grass around it. Claire called that "the jungle" and she would tell me "go in the jungle, go in the hill (the dune), go on the beach!"
  • Mimi and Claire would go for walks on the beach to look for shells to "kerplunk" into the bucket. Claire only wanted shells to "go on the finger" - the kinds with holes that she could put on the top of her fingers!
  • We lucked out with Tropical Storms Danny and Bill - neither one affected us much other than some big waves and 1 or 2 rainy days. When we were inside we would find fun things to do - Andy and Tara put up a tent, we painted (mostly Claire tried to drink the paint water), we played with poker chips, and we watched "Animals." Thank you to Aunt Alison and Uncle Matt for the animals DVD you gave Claire last year for her birthday - we watched it several times each day and I seriously don't know what we would have done without it!! :-)
  • Every day it would take until the late afternoon for Claire to warm up to the water. In the morning she wanted nothing to do with it, but by 6pm she'd be out jumping in the surf with us. The only exception was her last morning and Papa Jim convinced her to go out and jump the waves. It was so fun to hear her laugh and see her so happy to be at the beach!
  • My little early bird still woke up around 6:30 every morning (I think that proves no matter how much I wear her out or what time she goes to bed, she's still going to be up at the same time!). Mimi was kind enough to get up with her most mornings - the funniest morning was when Claire decided she had had enough of waiting around and said "Get me OUT of this crib!"
  • Clay and Patti came up from Wilmington in their boat and took us for a ride. I really think Claire would have just jumped off the side if I wasn't holding onto her - she had no fear! Thanks so much Clay and Patti!

I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of right now....it was a great week with my family and I am so grateful for the time spent together! Here's a montage of photos and videos from the week: (Actually it's a link, I cannot figure out for the life of me why it's not working to post it here? Just click on the thumbnail and it should take you to it)

View this montage created at One True Media
Topsail Beach 2009

1 comment:

Mrs.JSM07 said...

Cute video! I wish I was there. :