Claire, Mimi, and I got out of town for a whole weekend to visit Linda in Virginia Beach. It had been several years since we'd been to Linda's and I was so happy to to have this special weekend. We drove down Friday late afternoon and it should have been no surprise to us that it took absolutely forever. With a quick dinner stop, it took 4 hours. Ugh! But Mom and I chatted while Claire listened to Kids Bop and the time went by quicker than I would have thought. Friday night we got unpacked and enjoyed some time on Linda's porch with ice cream!! Linda had bought 3 flavors for us and made her special chocolate chip cookies.
Claire and I were roommates and we always get a good laugh when we sleep in Linda's room - there is a little window that looks out into the hallway and Linda pokes her head through to say goodnight! We were the first up in the morning and since the sun was shining, I SHOULD have gone for a run, but I just enjoyed a slow morning and drank my coffee on the porch with everyone. We eventually got around to gathering up our things and headed to the beach. It was just perfect, at least for a while. Then suddenly the clouds moved in, the wind picked up, and it was COLD. Even though Claire loved the playground and had made some friends, we didn't stay long.
We then went to the aquarium. I hadn't been in many years and had never taken Claire to one. She fell in love with the otters and especially loved playing with them - she would roll by the glass and they would roll. It was so cute!
We really enjoyed the aquarium and would love to go back one day in nicer weather to do the outdoor climbing course - they have all kinds of ziplines and things to climb way up in the trees. They also do dolphin cruises which would be fun to try. (We were already planning our next trip to Linda's!)
What Claire really had on her mind was the gift shop! Linda has some stuffed animals that Claire fell in love with and was hoping to find a similar one in the gift shop. When we got there, Linda surprised her and told her that she could have the seal back at the house that she loved the most!! And she picked out a mermaid ring that I bought for her.
After the aquarium we stopped to buy shrimp and had an amazing dinner of peel-n-eat shrimp and Linda's salad. Such a treat! We attempted a walk on the boardwalk that night, but it was SO windy and just freezing cold that we changed our minds and went back to the house. We had to warm up a bit before we were ready for our ice cream and frozen cookies :-) Claire and I were not exactly night owls and hit the bed early. Sunday morning when I saw the sun, I knew to take my opportunity for a run! I went out for an hour and thoroughly enjoyed myself - it was so quiet and peaceful on the boardwalk.
Claire wanted to play again on the playground so while Linda and Mom walked, I read my book huddled under towels and Claire made some new friends to play with on the playground. I sent this picture to Rob and Fielder, waving from the beach. (Fielder was home having a blast with Daddy - they even did a boys trip to Busch Gardens!!)
One last spin on Linda's trike before we left for home. I really enjoy talking with Linda and spending time with her. She is such a fiercely independent and strong woman who lives life they way she wants to - I really admire that! I also love spending so much quality time with my mom and of course one-on-one time with Claire.
THANK YOU to Linda!! We really hope to do it again next year. Sadly, a few weeks after our trip, Linda fell on the boardwalk and broke her leg. She had been in a bad accident several years prior and after removing some of the metal that had been in her leg, it became weak and caused her fall. It's going to be a while for her to recover. I couldn't believe the news when Mom told me. Claire and I sent a thank you/get well card and I know Claire has been worried about her.








No comments:
Post a Comment